Sunday, January 16, 2011

Rooster with Wine

I'm not really a 'New Year's Resolustion' type person.  But I have decided that I need to start branching out and trying new recipes.  I have a binder full of great recipes that I rely on way too often.  I am dangerously close to burning myself and Philip out on all of them. I did this in college with grilled chicken on the George Foreman grill. I ate it way too often, and now, just the thought of it grosses me out.  Mel... CeCe... Ang.... you know.

All that to say - I made Coq a Vin (French for Rooster with Wine) tonight for dinner and it was DELICIOUS! I guess it could be called chicken version of beef bourguignon (which I have never made, but will probably attempt this year.)   I found the recipe here along with several other good ones I have filed away. 

For as delicicious as it was, the ingredients are surprisingly simple. But, true to French cooking, the technique is everything.  It takes a good hour to prep and an additional hour and a half to cook. While it was cooking, I made some buttered noodles to serve with it. (Next time, I'll maked mashed potatoes or serve with crusty French bread.)

Having a great husband to watch the boy, and then to 'ooh' and 'aah' and 'mmm' over the final product helped!  Without that, "Don't try this at home!"  Otherwise, on a rainy Sunday afternoon, this can't be beat!


2 comments:

Kristin said...

This sounds fancy, LL! Looks delish!

Allie said...

Quite the chef...impressed, as always!