Monday, January 24, 2011

Binder Full of Great Recipes

Here it is! My 'cookbook' that I have compiled over the past 4 1/2 years of marriage. (fancy, huh?) I got the idea from my friend Jennifer, who received one of these as a wedding gift.  It has a tab for each category (vegetables, chicken, beef, etc...) and I put each recipe in a transparent sleeve for protection.  It's so functional, I love it!  It only contains my 'go to' recipes that I use over and over - the ones mentioned in the previous post that I rely on too often.  But they are good recipes.  And I'm learning to appreciate them even more in my quest to find new 'go-to' recipes.

I have tried about 5 recipes in a row that have ended up being somewhere on the spectrum from average to really bad (and I think I am very discerning about the recipes I choose in the first place!)  But I keep striking out.  

Never-the-less, my goal is to keep searching for good recipes - enough to fill a new binder. When I find them, I will share.  And in between, I'll try to share a few of my and Philip's favorites from the past 4 1/2 years. 

Starting with one of the best: Red Beans & Rice.  This recipe is wonderful for many reasons: it is easy, delicious, moderately healthy, inexpensive, feeds a lot of people, and freezes well.  Although the cook time is about 3 hours, the preparation time is only about 5 minutes - or as long as it takes you to chop onions and celery, slice sausage, and measure spices.  You can make 'packets' of the spice mix well ahead of time and keep them on hand.  I hope you enjoy this as much as we do!

Red Beans & Rice Recipe (originally from Treebeard's)


Ingredients

1 lb dried light red kidney beans
2 qts water (may need more later)
1 yellow onion chopped
2 stalks celery with leaves chopped
1 green bell pepper (I omit this)
2 ½ t. salt
1 ½ rounded t. thyme
1 ½ rounded t. oregano
1 ¼ t. garlic powder
¾ t. cayenne
2 bay leaves
1 lb smoked sausage – sliced (I only use Hillshire Farms turkey sausage)

green onions
cheddar cheese
rice (brown rice is fine, but fluffy white rice is best!)

Instructions:

Soak beans overnight. Drain beans. (To speed up the process, you can bring them to a boil, simmer 2 minutes, remove from heat and let stand 1 hour before the next step. DO NOT DRAIN WATER if you use the ‘speed up process – skip the ‘add 2 quarts of cold water). Add 2 quarts cold water, bring to boil with onions, celery, and bell pepper. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 ½ hours until beans are soft and begin to thicken (do NOT stir too often!)

Stir in seasonings & sausage slices. Simmer 30 minutes more. Serve over hot rice and top with cheddar cheese and green onions. ** Philip adds Emeril’s Kick It Up Green Pepper Sauce or Green Tabasco to his - either is a great addition.

2 comments:

Mel said...

Ahhhh its been way too long since I have had your red beans and rice!! Im going to ahve to make it next week! and yes, I cant eat chicken of the GF either.

Annie said...

I am going to raid your recipe binder when I get in town...WOOHOO!