Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Affogato

According to Wikipedia: An affogato (Italian, "drowned") is a coffee-based beverage or dessert. It usually takes the form of a scoop of vanilla gelato or ice cream topped with a shot of hot espresso. Some variations also include a shot of Amaretto or other liqueur. Yum. 

I know this because one of my favorite Starbucks drinks is a coffee frappuccino with an extra shot of espresso (this is my splurge). The other day, the barista asked if I wanted the espresso blended in, or poured on top, 'affogato'.  I tried it affogato for the first time and - oh my gosh - it's wonderful.  The hot shot of espresso melts the frappuccino and then falls to the bottom and forms a very pretty puddle of caffeinated, sugary goodness. Try it.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I just realized you were back blogging! Yeah! I am more of a once every so so often blogger but I love reading them!